Tuesday, June 07, 2011

Eleska Pt. I

Eleska

As usual, the door slams shaking my desk and disrupting my concentration. That man is as infuriating as any, except with this one, I am forced to endure.

“Did you bring it like I asked?”

“Of course I did, and I brought a little something extra for you.” I turned to him, my curiosity piqued. In his hand he held a creature’s egg.

“What is it?”

“Let’s go to your lab and find out, it should be about ready to hatch. I just got it from the bioengineer.”

“You what? You bought an egg from someone else? When I am surrounded by all of this?”

“Eleska, relax. You haven’t seen one of these yet. Not only that along with the egg, I learned how to create it from the doctor.” I had to struggle to hide my emotions. He knows exactly what buttons to push, exactly how to turn me into a giddy little girl. He annoys me sometimes.

Once in the lab he gently set the egg down under the heating element. The egg seemed to vibrate a bit and shift around as if it was trying to roll off. He steadied the egg with a gently hand and looked up into my eyes.

“Eleska I need your help. I need you to analyze this bio readout. It is from a Twi’lek. She has been…modified.”

“Your work?” he shook his head a little too quickly and a little too hard, betraying his emotions. I glanced at the egg seeing it was well cared for.

“Fine, but don’t make me miss this.”

“I promise I won’t, I will call at the first sign of it hatching.”

I flipped the datacard in my fingers, curious at who this was and why he is so interested in her. This is a bit out of character for him. I sat at my desk and inserted the chip. A rendering of the genetic structure lit the screen before my eyes, highlighting the anomalies. Curious, the location of the markers seemed familiar…something from many years ago, who was his name…that genetics lab on Corellia…internship…he hit on me…constantly…dirty old man…Dom….Dommer…No, it hit me finally….Tag Domn’r.

“Hey!! I got it, Dr. Tag Domnr. He was a professor I had for an internship on Corellia. He is stationed at Moenia, did you hear me? Maxell?”

I rushed back into the room, thinking I was missing the egg hatching. Instead I was greeted by his eyes, boring through me, that look on his face…the one you can’t really tell if he is in deep concentration, or is simply on the verge of loosing control. It always gave me the shivers.

Instead of looking past me he looked right into my eyes, “Can you generate a device that will eliminate the effects of the alterations?”

“I should be able too. When do you need it by?”

“I’ll be back in a day, have it ready.”

“But, Maxell the materials for something like that…this is a biolab, not an engineering workroom.”

“Call Avios, get him to help you. Watch the egg, I will be back for it too”

“Maxell, please, be careful.”

He didn’t even break his stride as he left. Brothers…infuriating…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home